2017 MTAQ CONFERENCE – TOWNSVILLE AND ORPHEUS ISLAND
From Mon 25-Sep-2017 to Thur 28-Sep-2017
The opportunities being presented at the 2017 MTAQ Conference in Townsville (based at GBRMPA/ Reef HQ) and Orpheus Island have been designed to enhance the professional capacity of Marine Science and Aquatic Practices educators across Australia. Specifically, the aims are to demonstrate the latest scientific research, management and field based techniques and present information aligned to the new QCAA Marine Science curriculum and its implementation. The new Marine Science syllabus has been secured within the latest curriculum suite of Senior Science subjects for ATAR (Australian Tertiary Admission Rank) having national implications and could see Marine Science being offered in other states.
The conference registration will include the following workshops, lectures and activities:
- Welcome Function at Reef HQ
- GBRMPA Eye on the Reef data gathering techniques (at Reef HQ and in-field at Orpheus Island)
- Reef HQ Behind the Scenes Educational Tour
- Presentations by staff of GBRMPA and Reef HQ
- Coral Watch data gathering techniques
- Introduction to Science Under Sail
- Australian Institute of Marine Science (AIMS) / The National Sea Simulator (SEA SIM) Tour (transport to and from included)
- Overnight at Orpheus Island Research Station (OIRS) / Classroom on the Reef (COTR) (transport to and from included)
- Access to researchers on OIRS and COTR – with presentations and in-field data collection
- Conference Dinner on Orpheus Island
- QCAA workshop on the new Marine Science syllabus
- Access to QCAA representative for Aquatic Practices syllabus
- Sharing of current resources and discussion on creation of resources to meet new syllabi
- Networking with other Marine & Aquatics teachers during Welcome Function, workshops, field activities and Conference Dinner
- Long-sleeved UV Conference Shirt click here for sizing
More information at: http://www.reefhq.com.au/ and https://www.jcu.edu.au/orpheus-island
Click here to download
Travel / Accomodation
Getting to and from Townsville:
Registration for the conference begins at 1:30 pm Monday 25th September. The conference concludes on return to Townsville from Orpheus Island.
Delegates can choose to fly or drive to Townsville. This cost is not included in conference registration.
*Travel to and from Orpheus Island is included within the conference registration. Please note there is a 20kg limit for the travel to Orpheus Island – you are advised to bring snorkelling gear.
Accommodation in Townsville:
Delegates are to arrange their own accommodation in Townsville. This cost is not included in the conference registration. Note that you will require at least Monday 25th and Tuesday 26th September. Delegates who are also participating in the AUSI Snorkelling Guide Course will require Thursday 28th September.
*Overnight accommodation on Orpheus Island is included within the conference registration.
MTAQ has contacted accommodation providers in Townsville. Those who will provide a special rate to MTAQ delegates are:
However, delegates are free to book wherever is most convenient to them.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITY – AUSI SNORKEL GUIDE QUALIFICATION
- Thursday 28th – Friday 29th September.
- Minimum 5 participants required
- Approximately $450 Price to be Confirmed.
- This PD is NOT covered under the conference registration and must be booked separately.
- Expressions of Interest to Joline Lalime E. email@example.com
Member Price $495.00
Non Member Price $595.00
T Shirt Sizing
Your t-shirt size Click here for sizes
This event is now full.
If you wish to be placed on a waiting list please contact the event organiser